By D. Lynn Loriaux
Establishing endocrinology as a different clinical distinctiveness was once no effortless activity. This attractive quantity chronicles the adventure during the tales of the boys –and occasional women—who formed the strong point during the ages.
In 108 short chapters, A Biographical heritage of Endocrinology illuminates the development of endocrinology from Hippocrates to the trendy day. the writer highlights very important leaders and their contributions to the sphere, together with those early pioneers:
- Kos and Alexandria, and the 1st human anatomy
- Bartolomeo Eustachi and the adrenal gland
- Richard decrease and the pituitary gland
- Thomas Addison and adrenal insufficiency
- Franz Leydig and testosterone secreting cells
- Wiliam Stewart Halsted and surgical procedure of the thyroid gland
- John J. Abel and isolation of hormones
- Hakaru Hashimoto and his disease
Covering the entire watershed moments within the heritage of the career, the e-book identifies key figures whose contributions stay correct this day. Their interesting tales of experiments and stories, advocacy and adversity, and exploring unknown territory will encourage the subsequent new release of endocrinologists and fulfill each clinician who ever questioned "how did we get here?"
This finished but concise biographical historical past of endocrinology will gain not just practising and potential endocrinologists, but in addition different clinical experts and scientific historians.
Read Online or Download A Biographical History of Endocrinology (Wiley-Endocrine Society) PDF
Best basic medical science books
The concepts in Interventional Radiology sequence of handbooks describes intimately many of the interventional radiology approaches and remedies which are in present perform. The sequence includes 4 titles, which in flip disguise strategies in angioplasty and stenting, transcatheter embolization and remedy, biopsy and drainage and ablation.
This hugely expected re-creation brings jointly a professional staff of authors to supply a complete, systematic source on genetic illnesses of the attention. This richly illustrated name covers parts similar to: malformations; refractive blunders, the cornea, glaucoma and cataracts; retina and the optic nerve; eye move problems, and systemic disorder of the attention.
Over the prior decade, huge, immense development has been made in figuring out the past due occasions within the HIV replication cycle. This has been made attainable by means of significant advances in mobilephone biology, virology, and structural biology. the sector maintains to maneuver ahead quickly, with vital new discoveries being mentioned frequently.
Crucial advisor to Blood teams is the one pocket sized advisor to supply crucial details on blood staff platforms. the most goal of the blood transfusion laboratory is to advertise secure blood transfusion. The avoidance of error, from pattern receipt and laboratory checking out via to the discharge of blood for transfusion, is of paramount significance.
- Molecular Pathogenesis and Signal Transduction by Helicobacter pylori (Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology)
- Geriatric Imaging
- Macro Roles for MicroRNAs in the Life and Death of Neurons (Research and Perspectives in Neurosciences)
- Basics of PET Imaging: Physics, Chemistry, and Regulations
- Lawrie's Meat Science (Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition)
- Gastric Inhibitory Polypeptide (Monographs on Endocrinology)
Additional resources for A Biographical History of Endocrinology (Wiley-Endocrine Society)