By Abraham J. Karp
Jews have traditionally lived inside a paradox of religion and worry: religion that they're an everlasting humans and worry that their new release could be the final. within the usa, the Jewish neighborhood has confronted to a heightened measure the iconic query of identification and assimilation: How does the Jewish group during this loose, open, pluralistic society notice or create factors-both ideological and existential-that make team survival necessary to the bigger society and profitable to the person Jew?
Abraham J. Karp's Jewish Continuity in the United States specializes in the 3 significant resources of yank Judaism's carrying on with energy: the synagogue, the rabbinate, and Jewish spiritual pluralism. quite illuminating is Karp's exam of the coexistence and unity-in-diversity of yank spiritual Jewry's 3 divisions-Orthodox, Reform, and Conservative-and of the way this Jewish non secular pluralism matches into the bigger photo of yankee spiritual pluralism.
Informing the bigger company via sharp and whole delineation of discrete endeavors, the essays accumulated in Jewish Continuity in America-some already said as classics, a few showing right here for the 1st time-describe inventive person and communal responses to the problem of Jewish survival. because the name indicates, this ebook argues that continuity in a unfastened and open society calls for a excessive order of creativity, a creativity that, to be doable, needs to be anchored in associations entirely pledged to continuity.
Read or Download Jewish Continuity in America: Creative Survival in a Free Society (Judaic Studies Series) PDF
Similar judaism books
Contemplative state demanding situations the long-standing view that theology isn't really an integral part of the Jewish culture. For political and philosophical purposes, either students of Judaism and Jewish thinkers have sought to lessen the function of theology in Judaism. This publication constructs a brand new version for knowing Jewish theological language that emphasizes the valuable function of theological mirrored image in Judaism and the shut courting among theological mirrored image and spiritual perform within the Jewish culture.
Within the narrative of Israel and Judah present in the e-book of Kings, the tip of a king's rule is summed up in a sequence of inventory statements that start with the poetic idiom for dying: 'and [the king] lay along with his fathers. ' The precis statements all revolve round the challenge of royal demise and succession, encapsulated in a short epilogue that consisted often of a realize of burial (in the royal tombs) and the advent of the successor.
During this learn, Aleksander Michalak focuses normally at the organization of angelic beings with struggle within the Jewish literary resources. the writer has tested a few of the depictions of the warrior angels within the literature of the second one Temple interval on the subject of the roots of such representations, their recognition, and diverse theological implications.
The Yudisher Theriak [Jewish Theriac] by way of Zalman Zvi of Aufhausen, first released in Hanau, in 1615, used to be a reaction to an anti-Jewish paintings titled Jüdischer abgestreiffter Schlangenbalg [Jewish Shed Snakeskin], written by way of a Jewish convert to Chistianity, Samuel Friedrich Brenz, and released in Nürnberg and Augsburg in 1614.
- Ana Pauker: The Rise and Fall of a Jewish Communist
- The Question of the Beginning and the Ending of the So-Called History of David’s Rise: A Methodological Reflection and Its Implications (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift ... für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- The Wisdom Instructions in the Book of Tobit (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies)
- Canonicity, Setting, Wisdom in the Deuterocanonicals: Papers of the Jubilee Meeting of the International Conference on the Deuterocanonical Books (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Studies)
- Stämmevolk - Staatsvolk - Gottesvolk?: Studien zur Verwendung des Israel-Namens im Alten Testament (Forschungen zum Alten Testament. 2. Reihe) (German Edition)
- The Anti-Journalist: Karl Kraus and Jewish Self-Fashioning in Fin-de-Siecle Europe (Studies in German-Jewish Cultural History and Literature, Franz Rosenzweig Miner)
Additional info for Jewish Continuity in America: Creative Survival in a Free Society (Judaic Studies Series)